Extensometers for materials testing
Long Gauge Length Axial Extensometers – Model 3542L
Long gauge length extensometers with gauge lengths 100 mm (4 inches) or greater for tensile and compression testing. These units are for long gauge length applications where low-level strain measurements such as offset yield are required.
Operation of these, and all of Epsilon’s extensometers, are
VERIFIED TO APPLICABLE STANDARDS SUCH AS ASTM E83 OR ISO 9513
using in-house calibration systems that are calibrated with Epsilon’s laser interferometer system.
WITH EPSILON’S 20+ YEAR HISTORY OF SERVICE
to the materials testing community, you know we will be there to stand behind our products when your critical application requires it.
The dual flexure design makes the 3542L very rugged and insensitive to vibrations. These extensometers are designed for testing a wide range of materials including metals, plastics, composites and ceramics. Epsilon’s Model 3543 is recommended for applications requiring long gauge lengths and larger measuring ranges.
The Model 3542L comes standard with Epsilon’s quick attach kit, making it easy to mount the extensometer on the test specimen. The quick attach kit can be removed, allowing mounting of the extensometer with springs or rubber bands.
Model 3542L extensometers are strain gaged devices, making them compatible with any electronics designed for strain gaged transducers. Most often they are connected to a test machine controller with electronics for a strain channel, and Epsilon will equip the extensometer with a compatible connector that is wired to plug directly into the controller. For systems lacking the required electronics, Epsilon can provide a variety of signal conditioning solutions that enable connecting to data acquisition systems or other equipment.
For gauge lengths less than 100 mm (4 inches), see Model 3542.
- May be left on through specimen failure.
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design for compatibility with nearly any test system.
- All models can measure in both tension and compression and can be used for cyclic testing.
- Mechanical overtravel stops in both directions.
- Standard quick attach kit allows quick mounting to specimens.
- Hardened tool steel knife edges are easily replaced. A spare set comes with every extensometer.
- High and low temperature options extend operation from as low as -270 °C (-454 °F) to +200 °C (400 °F).
- Replaceable arms and spacers for ease of repair. This also allows changing the gauge length for different test requirements.
- Includes the Epsilon Shunt Calibration System for on-site electrical calibration.
- Rugged, dual flexure design for strength and improved performance. Much stronger than single flexure designs, this also allows cyclic testing at higher frequencies.
- Includes high quality foam lined case.
Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
Output: 2 to 4 mV/V, nominal, depending on model
Accuracy: Standard configurations meet ASTM E83 class B-1 and ISO 9513 class 0,5 requirements for accuracy. A test certificate is included.
Linearity: ≤0.15% of full scale measuring range
Temperature Range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
Standard Quick Attach Kit: Wireforms are included for round samples up to 25 mm diameter (1.0 inch) and flats to 12 mm thick by 31 mm wide (0.5 inch by 1.25 inch); wireforms are available for many other specimen sizes – contact Epsilon
Operating Force: Depends on model configuration, less than 30 g typically
Click table options to configure
|mm or inches||#|
|+12.5 mm/-6.0 mm||-0125M||0125M|
|+25.0 mm/-6.0 mm||-0250M||0250M|
|+0.50 in/-0.25 in||-050T||050T|
|+1.00 in/-0.25 in||-100T||100T|
|-270 °C to 100 °C (-454 °F to 210 °F)||-LT||LT|
|-40 °C to 100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)||-ST||ST|
|-40 °C to 150 °C (-40 °F to 300 °F)||-HT1||HT1|
|-40 °C to 200 °C (-40 °F to 400 °F)||-HT2||HT2|
|-270 °C to 200 °C (-454 °F to 400 °F)||-LHT||LHT|
Example: 3542L-200M-0125M-ST: 200 mm gauge length, +12.5 / -6.0 mm measuring range, standard temperature option (-40 °C to 100 °C)