Extensometers for materials testing
Axial Extensometer – Model 3542
General purpose strain gage extensometers for axial tensile, compression, and cyclic testing. Gauge lengths from 20 to 80 mm (and 0.8 to 2 inches) and full scale measuring ranges from 5% to 100% strain.
provides higher measuring ranges with much shorter extensometer arm lengths – all with much greater low strain performance.
to the materials testing community, you know we will be there to stand behind our products when your critical application requires it.
Operation of these, and all of Epsilon’s extensometers, are
VERIFIED TO APPLICABLE STANDARDS SUCH AS ASTM E83 OR ISO 9513
using in-house calibration systems that are calibrated with Epsilon’s laser interferometer system.
These extensometers are designed for testing a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites and ceramics. All will perform both tension and compression strain measurement. The dual flexure design makes them very rugged and insensitive to vibrations, which permits higher frequency operation.
They come standard with Epsilon’s quick attach kit, making it possible to mount the extensometer on the test specimen quickly and easily with one hand. The quick attach kit can be removed, allowing mounting of the extensometer with springs or rubber bands.
Model 3542 extensometers are applicable for testing with the following standards:
• ISO 6892-1, 527-2, 527-4, 527-5, 10113
• ASTM E8, E9, D3039, D638, A370, D3552, E517, E646
Model 3542 extensometers are strain gaged devices, making them compatible with any electronics designed for strain gaged transducers. Most often they are connected to a test machine controller with electronics for a strain channel, and Epsilon will equip the extensometer with a compatible connector wired to plug directly into the controller. For systems lacking the required electronics, Epsilon can provide a variety of solutions for signal conditioning and connection to data acquisition systems or other equipment.
- May be left on through specimen failure.
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design for compatibility with nearly any test system.
- All models can measure in both tension and compression and can be used for cyclic testing.
- Standard quick attach kit allows one hand mounting to specimens.
- Rugged, dual flexure design for strength and improved performance. Much stronger than single flexure designs, this also allows cyclic testing at higher frequencies.
- All models have mechanical overtravel stops in both directions. Cable stops are used for overtravel protection where required. Epsilon’s cable stops are fully contained between the arms of the extensometer and do not hang below where they can interfere with fixturing–especially during compression testing.
- Hardened tool steel knife edges are easily replaced. A spare set comes with every extensometer.
- Gauge length adapter kits enable configuration of multiple gauge lengths with one extensometer.
- Replaceable arms and spacers for ease of repair.
- High and low temperature options extend operation from as low as -270 °C to +200 °C (-454 °F to +400 °F).
- Includes the Epsilon Shunt Calibration System for on-site electrical calibration.
- Includes high quality foam lined case.
Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
Output: 2 to 4 mV/V, nominal, depending on model
Accuracy: Standard configurations meet ASTM E83 class B-1 accuracy requirements for gauge lengths ≥20 mm and class B-2 for <20 mm. All standard configurations meet ISO 9513 class 0,5. A test certificate is included.
Linearity: ≤0.15% of full scale measuring range
Temperature Range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
Standard Quick Attach Kit:
– Wireforms are included for round samples 2-25 mm (0.08-1.0 inch) diameter and flats up to 12 mm thick by 31 mm wide (0.5 inch by 1.25 inch); wireforms are available for many other specimen sizes – contact Epsilon
– Rubber bands and springs for attachment are also included
– Model 3442 is recommended for specimen diameters <2 mm
Operating Force: Depends on model configuration; 10 to 100 g typical
Get our most popular configurations fast! We ship the following model 3542 configurations in 3-5 business days with a connector for any of the most popular testing machines.
- 25 mm gauge length, 20%, 50%, or 100% measuring range
- 50 mm gauge length, 20%, 50%, or 100% measuring range
- 1 inch gauge length, 20% or 50% measuring range
- 2 inch gauge length, 20% or 50% measuring range
- -ST temperature range
Limited to quantity of 2 per order. Lead time for configurations not listed above is 2-4 weeks.
Click table options to configure
|mm or inches||#|
Measuring Range² i
|-270 °C to 100 °C (-454 °F to 210 °F)||-LT||LT|
|-40 °C to 100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)||-ST||ST|
|-40 °C to 150 °C (-40 °F to 300 °F)||-HT1||HT1|
|-40 °C to 200 °C (-40 °F to 400 °F)||-HT2||HT2|
|-270 °C to 200 °C (-454 °F to 400 °F)||-LHT||LHT|
²Compressive ranges can be adjusted to higher values if required. Please contact Epsilon for your specific testing requirement.
³Not available in 10 mm, 12.5 mm, or 0.50 inch gauge lengths.
Example: 3542-050M-050-HT2: 50.0 mm gauge length, +50%/-10% measuring range, high temperature option (-40 °C to 200 °C)